A deep dive into each Tiger that declared for the 2023 NFL Draft

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Clemson defensive end Myles Murphy (98) chases down a Notre Dame player during the Tigers’ matchup against the Fighting Irish on Nov. 5, 2022.

As the 2023 collegiate season comes to a close, the draft process is underway for collegiate players looking to make the jump to the next level this April. 

At least seven of these potential draftees looking to continue their careers at the professional level will come from Clemson, where their presence both on and off the field will be missed. 

Although their time as a Tiger may be over, the impacts each one has left will be remembered for years.

Here is a deep dive into each player and some of their greatest moments. 

Myles Murphy, Defensive end

Murphy, who is projected to be a top-10 pick according to multiple NFL draft analysts, has been a terrorizing threat on the edge of the Clemson defense for the past three years. Arguably his greatest moment as a Tiger came in his first game in a Clemson uniform when, as a true freshman, he racked up seven tackles (three for loss) and two sacks against Wake Forest. 

He has been the only player in the country to produce at least ten tackles for a loss and six forced fumbles in the past three seasons. A first-team All-ACC member this season, the young pass rusher looks to continue the success that he had during his time at Clemson. 

Bryan Bresee, Defensive lineman

Bresee burst onto the scene as a freshman, receiving first-team All-ACC honors in his first year, joining Murphy and Trenton Simpson as a young three-headed monster on the Tigers’ defense. Although he dealt with a few injuries and a tragedy this season, he still found a way to make an impact on and off the field. 

Against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, he was able to crucially bat down a pass in overtime to give the Tigers the eventual win. This performance came after his younger sister, Ella, unfortunately passed away due to brain cancer, making the moment even more inspiring. 

Trenton Simpson, Linebacker

One of the most versatile players in this draft, Simpson provided large amounts of help for the Tigers’ defense in the past three years. One of his most noteworthy performances in orange and purple came against Louisville in the 2021-2022 season, where he had ten tackles (three for loss) and two sacks against the Cardinals. 

A Butkus Award semifinalist this season, which goes to the greatest collegiate linebacker, Simpson will join many others as a notable part of dominant Clemson defenses. 

Jordan McFadden, Offensive tackle

McFadden has been a key player on the left side of the offensive line in his five years representing the Tigers. A permanent team captain this past season, the graduate lineman earned the Jacobs Blocking Trophy as well, which is given to the top blocker in the ACC. 

Starting in all 14 games for the Tigers this past season, McFadden played 989 snaps for the Tigers, which is fourth-most in school history. Any team that takes McFadden will have a leader and a great player for years to come. 

K.J. Henry, Defensive end

Henry will be remembered for his heroics on and off the field. 

The former five-star recruit was able to join forces with running back Will Shipley to establish the “1 CLEM5ON” endowment, which will help provide resources for students at Clemson University. 

On the field, the graduate had many highlights to his name, but most notoriously was his fumble recovery in the fourth quarter against Boston College in the 2021 season to secure a victory for the Tigers. A third-team All-American and a second-team All-ACC selection this past season, whichever team picks Henry in April has a phenomenal athlete and an outstanding ambassador for an organization.  

Davis Allen, Tight end

Starting in all 14 games for the Tigers this season, Allen was a valuable weapon to Clemson quarterbacks this season. Most notably, he came in the clutch against Wake Forest this past season, where the senior caught two touchdown passes, making a diving grab for a 21-yard go-ahead score for Clemson in double-overtime. His twelve touchdown catches are the second-most in school history.

Joseph Ngata, Wide receiver

Ngata, ranked a four-star recruit out of high school according to 247Sports Composite rankings, used his size to provide a valuable option for Clemson’s receiving core the past few years. 

One of his best accomplishments came in the 2021  season when he reached single-game triple-digit receiving yards twice. He did so against Boston College and the eventual national champion Georgia Bulldogs, putting up 111 and 110 yards in those games, respectively. Standing at 6-foot-3, the deep threat averaged 12.8 yards per catch this season and could be an under-the-radar rookie to whichever team lands him.