Paws up, paws down: Clemson at Louisville

Katie Bradham
Andrew Booth Jr. celebrates a deflected pass in Memorial Stadium.

The Clemson Tigers kept fans anxious for most of the Tigers’ game against the Louisville Cardinals on Nov. 6 due to the Tigers’ inability to gain the lead. Thankfully, the Tigers were able to pull ahead and win the game after a clutch defensive stop on fourth-and-goal. The Tigers now hold a record of 6-3 and are officially eligible for a bowl game.
Paws up: Freshman receiver Beaux Collins with a breakthrough game
Beaux Collins had 104 receiving yards, six receptions and his first touchdown of the season against the Cardinals. He also led the team in receiving yards.
Quarterback DJ Uiagalelei found his former high school teammate, Collins, for a 46-yard touchdown to tie the game at seven almost a minute after Louisville scored.
Additionally, Collins made two back-to-back first down plays at the end of the second quarter as he helped get the ball moving; he totaled 21 yards in the two plays.
In the second series of the fourth quarter, Uiagalelei completed a pass to Collins again for ten yards and the first down.
Paws down: Injuries continue to be a problem
Running back Kobe Pace is the Tigers’ second leading rusher, and he exited the game with a head injury in the first half. Pace did not return to the game due to concussion protocol.
Cornerback Andrew Booth Jr. went down after partaking in a tackle and taking a helmet to the knee early in the game.
Running back Will Shipley limped off the field after taking a hard hit to the head that was ruled as targeting. Luckily, Shipley was able to return to the game despite a noticeable limp from time to time.
Uiagalelei was taken to the medical tent after what head coach Dabo Swinney called a sprained PCL. Uiagalelei returned to the game shortly after, but he still was not as mobile as before.
Paws up: Defense pulls it together to make big stops in the fourth quarter
The Clemson defense struggled throughout the game to make stops against the Cardinal offense. This was very out-of-character for defensive coordinator Brent Venable’s championship-like defense.
The Tigers had two fourth down stops in the last three minutes of the game to stop the Louisville offense.
With 10 seconds left on a fourth-and-goal for Louisville, linebacker James Skalski sacked the Cardinals’ quarterback, Malik Cunningham, to help win the game for Clemson.
Paws down: Offensive and defensive struggles
Shipley had a huge kick-off return for 75 yards, but the offense was stopped on the one yard line on fourth-and-goal. The Tigers could not capitalize on Shipley’s big play that could have resulted in a touchdown.
At the end of the first quarter, a block in the back by a Clemson player forced a turnover and had the Cardinals’ offense in good field position to score a touchdown—and they did.
In the past five games, Clemson has scored a total of six points in the third quarter. This shows the need for more movement on offense after the half.
The defense also showed a weakness of not being motivated early in the game. For example. less than three minutes into the game, Louisville’s Jaylen Mitchell ran for a 26-yard touchdown.
Paws up honorable mention: Taisun Phommachanh
When Uiagalelei missed part of the game, Phommachanh was sent in to play. He remained steady and kept the Tigers in place after being thrown in the game unexpectedly.
Swinney said, “I thought Taisun really brought something to the table tonight, did a great job for us.”