Tiger’s Two Cents: Aug. 23

“What should I do during my first week of class to prepare me for success the rest of the semester?”

Starting out, the best thing you can do is make sure you pay attention to your syllabus. Take the time to write down all of the due dates for upcoming assignments in a calendar or planner. This way, you always have a visual of the work to come. While it may take a while to do, you’ll thank yourself down the road.

Make sure to talk to people in your classes. This may sound intimidating and probably the last thing you want to worry about, but becoming acquainted with others will help you out when you have questions or miss a class and need to catch up. Having people in your class who you are comfortable with can save the day in many tricky situations.

Don’t forget, however, that each student is unique and has a specific method for success. So, focus on finding your system of success as you go. You don’t always have to be calculated from the start; sometimes, easing in and relaxing can preserve your mental health, which may just be the most important thing you do all semester.