Grewal places first, Clemson third overall in women’s golf season opener

David Ferrara // Alumnus
The women’s golf team is already off to a stellar start this season, placing third at the Cougar Classic.

Savannah Grewal’s first-place finish helped lead the Clemson women’s golf team to third place in the Cougar Classic to kick off the program’s 11th season this week.

The reigning ACC champions completed 18 holes on Monday, with Tuesday being the final two rounds of the tournament hosted by the College of Charleston at The Yeamans Hall Club. The Club, located in Hanahan, South Carolina, is a par 71 course with 6,269 yardage.

Program veteran Grewal tied for first with a score of 197 (-16) for the three rounds.
Her nine birdies and round two performance of 63 (-8) helped solidify her leading finish after shooting a 68 in round one.

To close out Tuesday, Grewal shot 66 (-5). She also shot a total of 20 birdies to break the Clemson golf record for most birdies in a single tournament while also adding the first tournament win of her career.

The next Tiger to rank was Annabelle Pancake, who tied for 12th by shooting 206 (-7).
For the rest of the Clemson team, Chloe Holder finished 14th with 207 (-6). Katherine Schuster and Isabella Rawl finished tied 45th and tied 50th, respectively.

The Tigers originally held the lowest score for round one, with four of the five teammates shooting in the 60s to go 13 under as a team for Monday morning. Schuster and Holder had both shot the team-low of 67 (-4). In round two, Clemson finished 8 under.

Only two ACC opponents, Miami and NC State, competed alongside Clemson. Of the 17-team field, programs such as Georgia and South Carolina were also present. Yet it would be Ole Miss who took the top slot, shooting a total of 36 under par in the three rounds.

LSU placed second with a team score of -31, and Clemson finished close behind at -30.

The Tigers have plenty of time to prepare before they next compete, as they will head to Arkansas for the Blessings Intercollegiate Invitational on Oct. 2-4.