Clemson making change at kicker amid Gunn’s struggles

Micahlyn Grist
Through three games, Robert Gunn III has gone 1 for 4 on field goal attempts and 14 for 15 on extra point attempts.

Clemson is making a change at the starting place kicker position.

After another disappointing showing from Robert Gunn III last Saturday, head coach Dabo Swinney picked up the phone on Sunday and called Jonathan Weitz, a former Clemson walk-on who graduated last year. At the time, Weitz was taking online classes in Charleston, South Carolina, working toward a Clemson master’s degree. But just two days after the phone call, Weitz has officially returned to the program and is in line to start against No. 4 Florida State on Saturday, Swinney announced on Tuesday.

“We went to the bullpen and called him off the beach,” Swinney said.

In practice on Monday, Weitz converted seven of eight field goal attempts despite not kicking a football since April, Swinney said. While he’s the starter as of Tuesday, Swinney also mentioned that there is still a week of practice and warmups prior to the game on Saturday to make the final determination. Swinney also said that Weitz is “pretty solid” for 45-yard field goals or shorter, and Clemson just needs “someone to make some layups right now.”

“Hopefully, he’ll be ready, but we gotta have a change there. It’s just where we are, and we’ll see what happens.”

In four seasons at Clemson (2019-2022), Weitz appeared in seven games, converting on all three of his extra point attempts. Playing behind B.T. Potter, he has never kicked a field goal in a college game. Weitz has been “living his best life” playing golf and living at the beach, according to Swinney. But Wetiz told Swinney he was interested in returning, and a four-hour drive later, he was back with the team. And based on NCAA rules, Weitz will meet the requirement to be able to play on Saturday against the Seminoles.

“It’s either going to be a great story, or it’s going to be terrible,” Swinney added of the move.

Coming out of retirement, Weitz will be taking over for Gunn, who has struggled in his first three starts this season, converting on one of four field goals and 14 of 15 extra-point attempts.
As for Gunn, Swinney still has confidence in the redshirt freshman.

“Honestly, we just need a little bit of maturity there, I guess would be the right word. Haven’t lost any confidence in Robert Gunn at all,” Swinney said. “When you say this kid is talented, you’re really not doing it justice. This guy is freaky; he really is. I mean, he is a freaky talent when it comes to his ability to kick a football. He’s just a young player, a freshman who’s just got to work himself through the funk. Sometimes, you just need to catch your breath.

“His kickoffs are amazing; he’s been unbelievable there. But he’s just been in a little bit of a funk, and it really started the week of the Duke game.”

Gunn will still handle kickoffs for the Tigers, according to Swinney, and if the team needs to kick a long field goal, Gunn’s leg remains the best option.

Swinney added that two other kickers on the roster had a chance to beat out Gunn, but neither took advantage of the opportunity.

The head coach also mentioned that the team has been starting Holden Caspersen as the field goal and extra point long snapper, a position previously held by Philip Florenzo. Florenzo, on the other hand, has been the Tigers’ new long snapper on punts.

“I hope it doesn’t come down to a kick. I don’t think my heart can take that,” Swinney added.