Where creativity and the cutting-edge collaborate: Clemson University Makerspace

Maria Chavez Solano // Courtesy
The Cooper Library Makerspace includes the Adobe Studio, with interns specializing in Adobe applications.

The Clemson University Makerspace has seen some new improvements this semester.

Makerspace recently finished its expansion into an additional room in the Watt Family Innovation Center, allowing for more creation across the three on-campus locations.

“We want people to know we aren’t just limited to engineering majors – our doors are open to anyone!” Makerspace Secretary Maria Chavez Solano said, emphasizing that the organization prioritizes expansion and outreach.

The Makerspace is a free service to all Clemson students, housing 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC mills, 3D scanning, a fabric printer, a sticker printer and a button maker, among other cutting-edge pieces of technology. It has locations on the first floor of the Watt Family Innovation Center, the fifth floor of Cooper Library and in the Cook Engineering Lab.

The Cooper Library location has the unique inclusion of Adobe Studio, with interns specializing in Adobe applications available to help during their open hours.

All locations of the Makerspace have interns ready and eager to help students navigate their equipment, no matter the experience level.

“Our priority is to give everybody a chance to make their creative and innovative dreams a reality,” Solano said.

For students interested in using a particular piece of equipment at the Makerspace, there is required safety training and quizzes for each service offered, which is to be completed before the student can access the equipment. It is recommended that these be completed before the student stops by the Makerspace, as they are available on the website. But, interns are happy to assist in this process as well if that better suits the student’s needs.

While the interns are happy to assist, they also offer hands-on educational opportunities for students.

“We have a lot of workshops throughout the semester where users can enhance their skills with the different kinds of equipment available,” Solano explained.

Solano encourages students to stop into the Makerspace, even if it is just to check it out. She notes that “working at the Makerspace has offered me a unique chance to develop skills I can apply to my future career in a medical device company,” and her leadership role has provided her “the chance to collaborate with a diverse range of student organizations.”

The Makerspace is an invaluable resource for Clemson students, which “welcomes all students from all majors and experience levels,” according to Solano.