No. 8 Clemson shuts out Miami on road trip

Senior defender Makenna Morris greets her teammates before hitting the pitch against Florida State. Morris, although not prevalent on the stat sheet, is a crucial piece of keeping the Tigers in the game.

The No. 8 women’s soccer team traveled to Coral Gables, Florida, where they shut out the Miami Hurricanes 5-0 on Thursday.

Goalkeeper Halle Mackiewicz has remained a dominant force for Clemson’s soccer program. Thursday’s game marked Mackiewicz’s seventh scoreless game for the season and 17th career shutout as a Tiger.

In the ninth minute of the first half, freshman forward Jenna Tobia set the pace for the Tigers, scoring off an assist from midfielder Dani Davis and forward Caroline Conti. Conti herself was able to score in the 19th minute, followed by another goal from sophomore Maria Manousos.

https://x.com/clemsonwsoccer/status/1705021194142175337?s=20

Defender Megan Bornkamp, who has been playing at the top of the field this season, notched three crucial assists for the team throughout the game.

Leading 3-0 by halftime, Clemson used their momentum to keep Miami on their toes. Renee Lyles, a junior and veteran Tiger, forced a one-to-one opportunity against the Hurricanes’ keeper, pushing the ball into the net. To seal the game, graduate Sami Meredith scored again for the Tigers in the final three minutes.

https://x.com/clemsonwsoccer/status/1705039778318799264?s=20

Head coach Eddie Radwanksi was happy with his team’s performance. “It’s a good win, I thought we kept great focus and concentration,” he said.
“I thought the level of play that our team played at was very high. It was an all-and-all great performance. It’s nice to get the shutout and I just thought the level of concentration was very good.”
In the total 90 minutes, Clemson made 17 shots compared to Miami’s 3. Clemson is now 1-1 in ACC play, with a 7-1-2 overall record. The Tigers will remain on the road for Sunday’s match against Boston College before returning home to host Syracuse on Sept. 30 at Historic Riggs Field.