Paws up, paws down: Clemson vs. Syracuse

Ashleigh Snyder
Clemson’s defense has been the critical factor keeping the Tigers in their games. Pictured tackling Florida State’s ball carrier is Ruke Orhorhoro (33) and T.J. Parker (12).

The Clemson Tigers defeated the Syracuse Orange by a score of 31-14 on Saturday. Here are the ups and downs of the game:

Paws up: Tyler Brown and the passing game

Tyler Brown, a true freshman wide receiver, had a dominant performance for the Tigers, tallying nine receptions for 153 yards. Saturday’s performance was an impressive follow-up for Brown, as he also had five receptions for 84 yards against Florida State.

Quarterback Cade Klubnik had an impressive performance, completing 23 of 37 passes for 263 yards and two touchdowns, one to Beaux Collins and the other to Troy Stellato for the first of his career.

Paws down: Turnovers

The Clemson Tigers are yet to finish a game without turning the ball over. Clemson tight end Jake Briningstool fumbled the ball in the fourth quarter, resulting in a Syracuse score.

The Tigers have lost five fumbles on the season and have added two interceptions on top of that. These plays have resulted in game-changing moments, as Duke dominated the Tigers in Week 1 by causing turnovers, and Florida State took advantage as a fumble returned for a touchdown led to the game-tying score, which led to the Seminoles to win later into the game. Luckily for Clemson, this fumble didn’t turn the tides as the Tigers went on to win.

Paws up: Defense

The Tigers’ defense was unstoppable against the Orange. Clemson tallied five total sacks on the game and six tackles for loss. True freshman T.J. Parker led the charge for the Tigers with two sacks.

Clemson was also effective in recovering turnovers. Linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr. had the game’s lone interception, and the Tigers recorded two fumble recoveries. Clemson’s secondary had a strong showing by deflecting four passes. Overall, the Tigers looked like a complete team on defense and have continued an impressive streak of strong defensive games.

Paws down: Kicking woes continue

Clemson counties to have a shaky season when it comes to its special teams. Graduate kicker Jonathan Weitz made one of his two field goal attempts against Syracuse.

The Tigers have made three of eight field goal attempts on the season and have not been able to find consistent kicking. Freshman kicker Robert Gunn III has made one of his four kick attempts on the season.