Clemson rowing places first in season opener

Clemson Athletics // Courtesy
The varsity eights A boat took home first in the finals in their season opener at the Head of the Oklahoma.

The Clemson women’s rowing team started the season off strong with a first-place finish in the varsity eights division at the Head of the Oklahoma this past Saturday.

In the 8-plus division, two boats, listed as A boat and B boat, are powered by eight rowers each, in addition to a leader at the stern called the coxswain. Clemson’s team A boat finished the 2,000-meter in second place with a time of 14:41.5, with B boat finishing sixth in 19:10.9.

This sent both boats into the finals, a 500-meter sprint under the lights after sunset. Clemson’s A boat took home first in the race in just 1:33.2, and B boat followed in fifth at 1:39.5.

For the 4-plus division, Clemson raced an A and B boat as well. Out of 27 teams in the race, the two boats placed 8th and 13th, respectively. The Tigers’ A boat finished the 2,000-meter with a time of 16:44.8, and B finished at 16:54.1.

These times again solidified their spots in the 4-plus finals, which was another 500-meter. The A boat finished in 1:48.9 to earn second place, and Clemson’s B boat came in at 1:50.5 to take third.

Clemson faced 11 other teams, including Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas.

“It’s a thrill to see these Tigers earn their medals,” Clemson head coach Stephan Frazier Wong said. “But it is even more thrilling to see how hard the whole team attacked each stroke this weekend.”

The Tigers will travel next to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, on Oct. 13-14 to compete in the Secret City Head Race.