From the Editor’s Desk: Happy National Newspaper Week

Pat Byrnes
Journalists, publishers and the public have been celebrating National Newspaper Week since 1940.

This year marks the 83rd anniversary of National Newspaper Week! Since 1940, newspaper organizations across the U.S. and Canada have dedicated a whole week to recognizing their local, state and national newspapers, and for good reason. Eight out of 10 Americans consume their news from a print or digitally uploaded newspaper each month, according to nationalnewspaperweek.com.

This year, the theme of the week is “In Print. Online. For You. #NewspapersYourWay,” as the world moves in favor of more digital-based news platforms. Here at The Tiger, we hear you. I love nothing more than holding a print copy of the newspaper in my hand and filling out my crosswords, pen in hand, but as society moves online, we have moved with it.

In recent years, The Tiger has bolstered its online and multimedia presence. We welcomed a brand-new website this semester, which is more user-friendly, providing an enhanced reader experience. The Tiger also created a mobile application on both Apple and Android devices, through which users can receive push notifications and read all content within the app. We have also been posting content almost daily to our social pages and have added accounts specifically for sports media.

You need the news; you should be able to get the news how you want it, and it is our job to adapt.

The numbers don’t lie either. Our online readership and social media followings have skyrocketed. Our page views have more than doubled recently, and we’ve gained over 1,000 followers on our main Instagram since February.

While The Tiger doesn’t have any plans to stop printing any time soon, I want you to know that we will continue to adapt and move with you, whether it’s online, in an app or via social media; we are committed to providing you with the news you need to know wherever you prefer to read.

So, take this week to appreciate the outlets you read daily and maybe pick up a print edition sometime soon.

Blake Mauro is a senior political science major from Montvale, New Jersey. Blake can be reached at [email protected].