Clemson’s underclassmen playing pivotal role this season

Ashleigh Snyder
Freshman running back Jay Haynes is one of many underclassmen head coach Dabo Swinney sees a bright future with.

The Clemson Tigers (3-2, 1-2 ACC) are experiencing the emergence of a new generation of talent this season, as stars on both offense and defense are stepping up to shape the team’s future. The Tigers’ limited number of seniors in starting roles, especially on offense, has forced these young players to mature quickly and take on larger responsibilities.

The obvious standout player who has improved this season is sophomore quarterback Cade Klubnik. He endured a tough start to the year in Clemson’s 28-7 loss to Duke, completing 27 of 43 attempts for 209 yards with one touchdown and one interception. However, head coach Dabo Swinney never lost faith in his young quarterback.

“Cade is going to be a great player. There’s just a lot of things situationally he’s got to do a better job of,” Swinney said, expressing his confidence in Cade after the loss.

Klubnik took this feedback to heart and has performed much better since, completing 66.2% of his passes for 10 touchdowns and just one interception over the last four games.

One of Klubnik’s favorite targets thus far has been freshman wide receiver Tyler Brown, who burst onto the scene with two touchdowns against Florida Atlantic and earned ACC Rookie of the Week honors.

Brown has embraced his starting role, especially after the season-ending injury to redshirt freshman wide receiver Cole Turner. In five games, Brown has accumulated 316 receiving yards and two touchdowns, averaging an impressive 15 yards per reception. Despite his relatively small build, standing at 5-foot-11 and weighing 180 pounds, his impact as a wideout is evident.

“He plays bigger than he is, plays with some length, plays with extension, but he’s done a great job, and he’s really shown that he can help us,” Swinney said.

Brown’s start to his freshman campaign has not gone unnoticed, as he was named ACC Rookie and Receiver of the Week after his 153-yard game against Syracuse.

The Tigers’ offense features several other notable underclassmen, such as wide receiver Adam Randall, tight end Josh Sapp, and running back Jay Haynes, who became the first player to record a receiving and rushing touchdown in the same game for the Tigers since 2020 when Clemson defeated Charleston Southern in Week 2.

“We got a lot of young talent and a lot to be excited about for a while to come,” Swinney noted, expressing his optimism about the future of this Tigers football team.

The defensive side of the ball has also seen the emergence of promising young players, with notable freshmen including Khalil Barnes, Avieon Terrell, Shelton Lewis and T.J. Parker. Parker was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week following the win over Syracuse and has three sacks on the year.

Meanwhile, sophomore linebacker Wade Woodaz stands out as a leader on the defense, displaying a maturity beyond his years.

“He has a great understanding of the game and the instincts to go with it,” Swinney said of Woodaz.

Woodaz’s instincts made an immediate impact as a freshman, earning 20 tackles and 1.5 sacks. This season, he has continued to play a pivotal role, amassing 11 tackles, an interception and a fumble recovery through five games.

Although the Tigers’ College Football Playoff chances this season are slim to none, the abundance of young talent on both sides of the ball bodes well for the future.