Clemson responds to early scare, settles for a draw with Virginia

Kate Shealy
The Tigers fought hard against the Virginia Cavaliers on Thursday night, resulting in a 1-1 draw.

The Clemson women’s soccer team drew with the Virginia Cavaliers (5-2-5) by a score of 1-1 at Historic Riggs Field on Thursday night.

After an early goal from the visitors, an onslaught of shots from No. 9 Clemson (9-1-3) only found one in the back of the net from midfielder Renee Lyles, resulting in their third draw of the season.

The team began on the wrong foot, something that has been rare for their special season. It was Virginia who drew first blood in the 9th minute, opening the scoring with a cross past the middle from Yuna McCormack and finding the feet of midfielder Jill Flammia, who struck it past Clemson’s Halle Mackiewicz to give the ‘Hoos an early goal and a fast start. It was only one of two shots for the Cavaliers in the first half, and it proved to be decisive.

After the opening goal, Clemson head coach Eddie Radwanski and his squad continued to knock on the door. Through efforts from forwards Jenna Tobia, Sami Meredith and Tatum Short, the Tigers piled on the shots, with 10 in the first 30 minutes, and forced as many saves from Virgina goalkeeper Cayla White.

Clemson struck gold in the 34th minute. With a cross over the box from Meredith to an incoming Lyles, the Tigers smashed it home to even up the score. It was the junior’s third goal on the season, and it sent the Tigers into halftime tied up after the Cavaliers’ early goal.

In the second half, both teams had their chances, but the Tigers were unable to make the most of these opportunities. The 79th minute was perhaps the biggest moment for the home team when forward Tobia sent a pass to Meredith. The graduate senior, who had plenty of space and an open goal, slid her shot wide and the game remained tied.

The Cavaliers had their chance as well, finding their chance from a breakaway by forward Meredith McDermott in the 52nd minute. However, Mackiewicz made a huge stop to McDermott’s run, holding Virginia off to prevent another goal.

After the game, Radwanski spoke on the importance of the attackers in creating chances for the Tigers.

“We’ve been very good at creating chances, and unfortunately, we weren’t fortunate enough to knock them in the back of the net,” the Clemson coach said. “We needed more than just the one, and it wasn’t from the lack of creating it; sometimes that happens in the game.”

In a loaded ACC conference, Clemson will have to travel to Durham, North Carolina, to face the Duke Blue Devils on Friday, Oct. 13, and Radwanski is ready for the challenges ahead with more competitive in-conference matchups.

“I like where our team is,” he said. “I like how we are playing. I like our mentality. I like our work ethic. Chemistry is fantastic. There are a lot of good things ahead for this group.”