Fashion and Art Clubs host joint semi-formal

Mercedes Dubberly
Students dancing through time at the decades-themed semi-formal.

On Wednesday, Oct. 18, Clemson Fashion Club and Clemson Art Club held their joint semi-formal event downtown at 356 Sushi. The theme of the night was decades, designed to show off trends in the industry throughout history.

The night brought together students from both clubs and anyone willing to show off their styles.

“For me, Art Club has always been a sense of community,” Isabel Stanley, president of Art Club, said. “It started when I was a freshman with only six of us and has grown to have over 450 members.”

Founded in 2020 and 2022, respectively, both the Art Club and Fashion Club are relatively new presences on campus. But, their members are passionate about sticking around. Fashion and Art clubs have quickly drawn a following, as was evident by the enthusiastic turnout Wednesday night.

“I joined Art Club last fall, and it became my outlet for everything when I was stressed out,” Logan Dowling, the club’s social media director, said. “It was the perfect creative outlet amidst all of my heavy school work.”

Decades proved to be a huge success as fashion from every era — from glitzy flapper dresses to go-go boots to grunge — could be seen dancing the night away under disco balls. Everyone was included, showing off one of the missions of both clubs: diversity.

There, those clad in World War II-era outfits could be seen twirling those in modern, thrifted attire, and ‘70s go-go girls paired off with those from the Y2K era.

“Being president of a club that has been part of my life for almost four years really means a lot to me. We don’t have any member dues; it’s a place for anybody, whether you come once a semester or every meeting,” Stanley said. “We want people to know anyone is welcome to come. It’s important to me to have that kind of community that’s so open.”

Clemson Art Club meets every Wednesday. Be sure to check Clemson Fashion Club’s Instagram for their monthly events.

View Comments (1)