Clemson United picking up speed as postseason approaches

Forwards Nathan Richmond and Alex Meinhard have been major pieces of the Tigers’ offense; pictured in the Tigers’ shutout victory over Boston College on Oct. 20.

Back in August, Clemson United’s season was off to a rocky start, as the team was on the losing end of a shocking upset in its season opener at Historic Riggs Field. But since August, the Tigers have not lost at home, winning eight and drawing one to become a dominant force in the ACC and a national championship-contending team.

Most recently, in conference play, the No. 10-ranked Tigers shut out Boston College in an impressive 6-0 win last Friday night.

The Tigers (9-3-2, 4-2-1 ACC) have improved as the season has progressed, heating up further with one more regular season game before the ACC Tournament begins. Clemson hopes to make another deep run like it did two seasons ago when the team was crowned national champions.

The most dangerous aspect of this team is the momentum that it has built. Clemson has only lost one game since Sept. 9, when they lost to the No. 3 Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Since that game, Clemson has been on a five-game unbeaten run, outscoring its opponents by a score of 17-3 across that stretch.

Head coach Mike Noonan has built a strong offensive powerhouse, as the Tigers rank first in the country in goals per game with 2.93 goals per contest.

Senior midfielder Ousmane Sylla has been one of the most dynamic players not only for the Tigers but in the entire ACC. Sylla leads the team in goals and assists, with seven each, and is second in the ACC in terms of points, tallying 21 across 14 games played.

The Dakar, Senegal, native will have plenty of eyes watching as he looks for another first-team All-ACC nod, especially after his hat trick in the Tigers’ victory over Boston College last week.

Joining Sylla is sophomore midfielder Nathan Richmond, who has notched five goals and five assists on the year. Forward Alex Meinhard is another face to know, having scored six goals in his first season as a Tiger.

Clemson will play its final regular season game away from home on Friday night, traveling to Raleigh, North Carolina, to take on the Wolfpack. Noonan thinks the key to winning this week’s game, as well as the key to making a deep run in the postseason, is consistency.

“The most important thing is to be consistent in our performances,” Noonan said after last Friday’s win. “If we can continue to do that, we are a good team.”