Reflecting on the events of Hispanic Heritage Month at Clemson

Tai’s Captures // Unsplash

From Sept. 15 through Oct. 15, different Latino organizations around Clemson University celebrated Latin American History Month. Every Friday, the Association of Latino Professionals for America sold tamales on Library Bridge as a fundraiser.

They sold different types of tamales, and they even had vegetarian options. They also sold two different types of aguas frescas: mango and hibiscus. I opted for the green tamales and the mango agua fresca, and they did not disappoint. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the tamale and saw it was in a corn husk, which added to the authenticity. The tamales were delicious, and the mango agua fresca was very enjoyable.

“It gives everyone an experience to get to know the Hispanic culture,” Carmen Ivette Bautista, senior management major and ALPHA president, said when asked why selling tamales is so important to the organization.

Salsa at Sunset was the other main event that celebrated Hispanic Heritage. This event featured the International Dance Academy, performing different styles of dance based on the various Latin American countries, including Costa Rica, Mexico, Venezuela, El Salvador and Puerto Rico.

Each dance featured dancers from the academy with different costumes that represented the culture of the different countries. These dances were such a fun experience because not only did I get to see the different dances, but I got to experience them as well. As part of the audience, we participated in various salsa dances and even learned Hispanic versions of line dances. It was a lot of fun to not only learn the dances but to watch people embrace their culture.

“I am proud of my culture,” Andres Menendez, a sophomore landscape architecture major in both the Association of Latino Professionals for America and Latinos Unidos, said when asked why Hispanic Heritage Month was important to him.

The pride of the Hispanic culture expressed through the events, especially Salsa at Sunset, was extremely apparent and was amazing to experience.

Hispanic Heritage Month has been a great way to involve the Latino clubs around campus to express their culture and share their heritage.

Hispanic Heritage Month allowed Hispanics “to showcase our heritage and culture,” Pablo Unda, executive board chair of the Commission on Latino Affairs, said. Seeing the Latino community come together to celebrate and share their heritage with the Clemson community has been incredible, making for a successful Hispanic Heritage Month.