From the Editor’s Desk: Dabo is part of the Clemson Family, treat him that way

Caleb Browder, Alumnus
Dabo Swinney has led the Tigers to unprecedented highs as Clemson’s head coach, a feat current students need to realize.

I have always been proud to be a Clemson Tiger. I really can not think of a single time, since I was a sophomore in high school all the way through these three and a half years at Clemson, that I was ashamed to wear my tiger stripes. That all changed this Saturday.

I found myself in disbelief in the student section during this weekend’s home football game against Notre Dame. As the video board above The Hill ran through the game’s starting lineup, the fans around me were booing their team more than they cheered. The lineup concluded with head coach Dabo Swinney, and most of the students around me erupted in disapproval, echoing “BOO” in both my ears.

I could not believe it. This man has brought this program two national championships, over 100 ACC regular-season wins and eight ACC championships. Further, this last victory over Notre Dame marked his 166th win as Clemson’s head coach, making him the all-time winningest head coach in program history, not to mention the millions of dollars he and his program has brought into the school and its community.

And now, with just one down season, Clemson fans are ready to forget all of the success Swinney has brought to Clemson. I was under the impression that the Clemson Family were the kind of people who picked each other up while they were down, not beat them into the ground.

And then, after the game, when the PA announced that the victory over the Irish marked Swinney’s 166th win, the “Boo” I heard ahead of the game quickly turned into glorious cheers; this made me even more angry. Clemson fans need to support Dabo and his Tigers, win or lose, champions or not. All in or not in, not just when they win.

View Comments (3)