Clemson breezes through Charleston Southern to remain undefeated

Thomas Gilbert
The Tigers had a statement 85-55 win over Charleston Southern to improve to 2-0 on the season.

The Clemson Tigers defeated the Charleston Southern Buccaneers in a dominant 85-55 performance in Littlejohn Coliseum on Friday. This win marks the second win of the season for the Tigers, who have outscored their opponents by a combined score of 156-96.

The Tigers were led by seniors Amari Robinson and Mackenzie Kramer in Friday’s win against Charleston Southern. The duo combined for 41 points and were able to space the floor against the Buccaneers.

Robinson had 21 points for the Tigers, with 18 coming from within the 3-point line, while Kramer put up another 20, with 12 of them coming from beyond the arc.

Half of Kramer’s points came from a strong first-quarter run from the Tigers. Clemson closed the quarter with an 18-3 lead, with 10 of those points coming from Kramer. At the end of the quarter, the Tigers had a 26-8 lead over the Buccaneers, which was too large for Charleston Southern to come back from.

Clemson’s bench was very effective as well, as the Tigers’ bench scored 40 points. Ruby Whitehorn, a sophomore guard for the Tigers, stood out with 11 points, shooting 5-8 from the field, in addition to four rebounds, two assists and two steals.

The Tigers’ defense was a big part of the win, as it forced 21 turnovers and scored 31 points off these. The Tigers were also able to come down with 30 rebounds on the defensive side of the ball and were in control of the paint, holding the Buccaneers to 26 paint points compared to Clemson’s 42.

Although the Tigers were dominant throughout the game, they did have some mishaps. Clemson turned the ball over 14 times in the game, with Charleston Southern capitalizing on this each time to result in the same amount of points from these turnovers.

The Clemson women’s basketball team will be in action again on Sunday in Littlejohn at 2 p.m. against the Mercer Bears.