Clemson moves past Radford to advance in NCAA Tournament

Senior defender Makenna Morris (2) sends the ball to the back of the net off an assist from Caroline Conti (23).

The Clemson women’s soccer team defeated the Radford Highlanders (12-6-2, 6-1-1) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by a score of 2-0 on Friday night, moving on to the second round.

Despite standout goalkeeper Halle Mackiewicz being sidelined with an injury that she sustained in warmups, graduate forward Caroline Conti and senior Makenna Morris each tallied a goal to help propel Clemson (16-3-3, 7-2-1) past the Highlanders.

Although the first half was scoreless, the Tigers were able to break through in the 56th minute. The ball fell to Conti, who slid it across the box to Morris, who then one-touched it into the back of the net to break the deadlock. The goal marks Morris’ ninth of the season to lead the team.

Twenty-one minutes later, Clemson doubled the score with Conti’s help again. The midfielder worked her way past three defenders and found an open shot on goal, sliding a low shot into the left corner past goalie Lexi Radvanyi to help extend the team’s lead.

The team poured on shots, putting in 26 shots with 13 on target. Clemson will hope to continue this offensive success as they make a deeper run in the tournament.

Despite Mackiewicz’s absence, sophomore Addy Holgorsen recorded a clean sheet, the first of her collegiate career.

The Tigers will face either Columbia in the second round, with the time and date to be determined by the results of the rest of the first round.