Trotter declares for NFL draft, opts out of bowl game

Ashleigh Snyder
Clemson linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr. runs a pick six to the end zone in the Tigers’ upset over Notre Dame. Trotter has been a consistent piece of the program for the last three seasons.

Clemson linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr. has officially declared for the NFL draft.

In a statement posted to his Instagram, the junior thanked his coaches, teammates, family, friends and fans before announcing his intention to take “the next step in a lifelong dream and declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft.”

With his decision, Trotter has opted out of whichever bowl game Clemson is selected to play in, according to The Post and Courier’s Jon Blau. The choice to declare for the draft makes his final act as a Tiger the planting of the Clemson flag in the middle of South Carolina’s field after the team’s 16-7 rivalry victory over the Gamecocks last Saturday – as fitting a sendoff as there ever was.

In his three seasons at Clemson, Trotter has been invaluable. He will finish his Clemson career with 191 total tackles, 13 sacks, three forced fumbles, four interceptions and two touchdowns.

He is following in the footsteps of his father Jeremiah Trotter, a legendary Philadelphia Eagles linebacker who wore the same number, 54.

“Attending my father’s induction ceremony to the Eagles Hall of Fame had a huge impact on me,” Trotter said earlier this month. “They really showed what kind of player he was and the tough mentality he brought to the field every game. The ceremony inspired me to play the game hard like my dad did. He inspires me to represent the Trotter name to the best of my ability.”