Girard, Tigers remain undefeated with win over TCU

Clemson guard Joe Girard III led the Tigers in scoring in their win on Saturday against the TCU Horned Frogs, scoring 21 points.

In a matchup between two unbeaten teams, the Tigers (9-0-0) prevailed against the TCU Horned Frogs (7-1-0) in the Hall of Fame Series match in Toronto by a score of 74-66.

Clemson started off sloppy, giving up eight turnovers in the first 10 minutes. Combining the Tigers’ offensive struggles with TCU’s transition scoring, the Tigers found themselves down early.

Clemson managed to limit its turnovers and find the basket to bring the game to a one-point lead at halftime. Both teams found themselves making less than a quarter of their shots, struggling down low and from beyond the arc. In the first half, Clemson center PJ Hall led the Tigers with eight points, while TCU guard Micah Peavy led the Horned Frogs in scoring.

Under the command of guard Joseph Girard III, who scored 14 of his 21 points in the second half, the Tigers managed to turn the game around. They limited turnovers and scored at a much more consistent pace than earlier play. After firmly securing the lead with 15 minutes left to play, Clemson held it all the way until the buzzer sounded.

Girard led the Tigers with 21 points. Hall and forward Ian Schieffelin were right behind him with 17 and 14 points, respectively. As a team, Clemson shot 41.4 percent from the field, compared to TCU’s 32.2 percent shooting.

With their big win, the Tigers remained atop the ACC and are expected to move up the Associated Press rankings. They face the Memphis Tigers on Dec. 16 at 3 p.m. in Memphis, Tennessee.

View Comments (1)