Speak Up!: Do you think peer pressure is common for Clemson students?

Speak+Up%21+is+a+collection+of+student+opinions+on+a+given+topic+at+hand.+It+is+collected+by+The+Tiger+Staff+on+Library+Bridge.+
Ken Scar // Courtesy
“Speak Up!” is a collection of student opinions on a given topic at hand. It is collected by The Tiger Staff on Library Bridge.

“Speak Up!” is a weekly collection of student opinions on relevant topics around campus. The Tiger interviews randomly selected students to hear their thoughts on the question at hand.

This week, reporters went to the center of campus, Library Bridge, to hear student opinions.

This time, The Tiger asked: “Do you think peer pressure is common for Clemson students?”

Here’s what students had to say about it:

Katherine Richardson (Madison Akers)

“I think it depends on the person. It depends on the situation you’re in too because some people may be more susceptible to it if they’re hanging out with the wrong people, but I don’t think it is, personally.”

— Katherine Richardson, a sophomore criminal justice major

Paige Dallas (Madison Akers)

“For sure. I definitely think it’s who you surround yourself with and the environment you’re in. I feel like my freshman year, first coming to classes and being on my own, you can feel like following the group is all you can do, but once you surround yourself with good people, you can get out of that pretty easily.”

— Paige Dallas, a sophomore political science major

Luke Wells (Madison Akers)

“Yes, absolutely. I feel like there’s just, generally, expectations. I’m not in the Greek life communities, but I feel like if you want to become a part of those groups in particular, you’re expected to behave a certain way and do certain things to fit in. People can feel like they have to do certain things to be accepted.”

— Luke Wells, a senior mechanical engineering major

Allison Curl (Madison Akers)

“I have no idea. I don’t know that I’ve ever been peer pressured, but that may just be because of the crowd I hang out with.”

— Allison Curl, a sophomore biosystems engineering major

Caleb Beckley (Madison Akers)

“I would say I don’t encounter it that much, but that’s because I typically surround myself with good friends, I would say, so it doesn’t become that much of an issue for me.”

— Caleb Beckley, a sophomore industrial engineering major