Thoughts from a bookworm: The most anticipated releases of 2024

The+seasons+of+2024+each+bring+their+own+special+collection+of+books%2C+each+by+renowned+authors.+
Zibbymag // Courtesy
The seasons of 2024 each bring their own special collection of books, each by renowned authors.

2023 saw some highly anticipated book releases; from the sequel to Rebecca Yarros’ international sensation “Fourth Wing,” Emily Henry’s fourth romantic fiction novel and the highly anticipated memoir “Spare” by Prince William, 2023 kept bookworms on their toes. Like last year, 2024 has some exciting releases for readers, varying in genre and mood.

Winter: “The Fury” by Alex Michaelides
The No. 1 New York Times bestselling author Alex Michaelides’ highly anticipated third book is the star of this year’s winter releases. The author of the international bestseller “The Silent Patient” is back with an island mystery filled with passion, an ex-movie star, resentment and a plot that will have you wondering if “The Fury” at its core is a love story or a tale of murder. Book review platform StoryGraph categorizes Michaelides’ new book as a dark, tense thriller.

Reading pace: Medium
Genre: Fictional thriller
Release date: Released Jan. 16.

Spring: “Funny Story” by Emily Henry
Emily Henry has taken the romantic fiction genre by storm. Her 2023 release “Happy Place” was an instant No.1 New York Times bestseller, following up her 2022 release and No. 1 bestseller, “Book Lovers.” “Funny Story” centers around Daphne and Miles, whose previous exes decide to start dating. In a predicament only the other could understand, the two end up as roommates and decide to take up the charade of pretending to date each other to make their exes jealous. It’s all fake, of course (or is it?). “Funny Story” will be Henry’s fifth romantic fiction release and is expected to be an instant bestseller. Readers should expect a funny, honest, emotional and hopeful story similar to Henry’s other four bestselling romances.

Reading pace: Medium
Genre: Contemporary romance
Release date: April 23.

Summer: “The Midnight Feast” by Lucy Foley
Lucy Foley, the author of “The Guest List” and “The Paris Apartment,” returns with another mystery, this time centering around a luxury resort. Five characters have a past and an agenda, but not all five will leave the resort alive. No. 1 bestselling author Lucy Foley has proven she knows how to write an addictive mystery, and “The Midnight Feast” is expected to be the most anticipated new mystery of the summer.

Reading pace: Fast
Genre: Mystery
Release date: June 18.