Clemson DT arrested for gun charge, suspended from team activities

Clemson+defensive+tackle+Demonte+Capehart+had+his+best+season+on+the+field+in+2023%2C+finishing+with+15+total+tackles%2C+two+sacks+and+one+forced+fumble.+
Ashleigh Snyder
Clemson defensive tackle Demonte Capehart had his best season on the field in 2023, finishing with 15 total tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble.

Correction: An earlier version of this story did not include the $10,000 bond that Capehart posted for the weapons charge. The Tiger regrets this error and has since corrected it.  

A Clemson football player was arrested last week for unlawful possession of a firearm on Clemson University’s campus.

Clemson defensive tackle DeMonte Capehart was arrested on Feb. 6 and charged with “carrying or displaying firearms (on) school property,” as well as a traffic charge for “failure to exercise due care while operating a motor vehicle,” according to Pickens County court records, as first reported by The State’s Chapel Fowler.

Pickens County’s court records line up with Clemson University Police Department’s daily crime log, which states that an unnamed individual was arrested for “unlawful possession of a firearm on school property” and “failure to exercise due care” in a “motor vehicle,” on Feb. 6 around 8:17 p.m. The arrest occurred on 188 Old Greenville Highway, near Historic Riggs Field.

The Tiger has requested public records from CUPD regarding Capehart’s arrest.

Clemson Athletics provided The Tiger with the following statement on Capehart’s arrest:

“We have been aware of the facts of the case from the start, and he is not presently participating in team activities while awaiting completion of all legal and university processes.”

Capehart posted a $10,000 bond for the weapons charge and a $232.50 bond for the traffic charge following his arrest, according to Pickens County court filings.

A former four-star recruit, Capehart had his best season as a Tiger in 2023, finishing with 15 total tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble.

This is a developing story. Continue to check thetigercu.com for more information and updates.