Jordon: Clemson University represents inclusivity at its finest

Ken Scar // Clemson News
Large crowds flocked into Littlejohn Coliseum for the 29th annual International Festival on March 10, 2023.

When choosing a university to attend, most applicants research specific majors and the opportunities provided at each school. Clemson University prides itself on its many triumphs, including inclusivity. Tens of thousands of students apply to Clemson every year, all coming from different racial, religious and geographical backgrounds because of Clemson’s inclusive nature.

Each year, Clemson gets progressively better at including everyone in its community and making students feel welcome and acknowledged. The University sponsors events such as Soul Food Sunday and salsa dancing nights, which give students the chance to experience new cultures and meet new people all over Clemson’s campus.

Students are exposed to new concepts every day, not just from the available organizations but also from the courses that are mandatory for graduation. Entering Clemson as an English major, I never would have thought that my future self would have so much knowledge about the different Native American tribes throughout history or information about the Roman Empire. However, this knowledge has sparked an interest in international culture and has guided me towards a desire to study abroad in the near future.

As a Puerto Rican and Black woman attending Clemson University, this school has provided me with a community that has helped me better understand different aspects of my ethnicity. I have been able to learn so much about different cultures and ethnicities because of some of the incredible people that I have made relationships with on campus. Clemson is a place where someone can truly find out who they want to be and what paths they can take.

One of the biggest multicultural events on Clemson’s campus is the International Festival. Clemson’s official website describes this festival as “an annual event that symbolizes Clemson’s commitment to celebrating identities and cultures from around the world.” This event brings Clemson students of all different cultural backgrounds together and gives everyone a chance to highlight different aspects of their identities.

When asked what he thought about the progressive inclusivity over the years, Caleb Smith, a senior horticulture major, noted that Clemson makes it easy to get involved, whether it is with a club or any other organization on campus.
“In a school with so many people, it is nice to have organizations where you can go talk and interact with people who have the same backgrounds and goals as you,” Smith said.

There are more than 500 different organizations across Clemson’s campus. Students from all over have an opportunity to get involved or start an organization to do anything that they desire. Clemson continues to progress in so many positive ways over the years, and I can’t wait to see where this will lead the school in decades to come.

Mariah Jordon is a sophomore English major from Dallas, Texas. You can reach her at [email protected].

View Comments (2)