Upstate band performs down in Athens

Matthew Grubbs
Cash Machine performs in Athens, Georgia.

Rock bands come and go, but sounds tend to linger. Those with a lingering thirst for the classic ‘70s and ‘80s rock bands, those who crank the speakers up to 11 when the night gets wild and jam until the morning need to look no further than Cash Machine, a rock band from upstate South Carolina.

Last Saturday night, Cash Machine made an appearance at Nowhere Bar in Athens, Georgia. The set lasted three hours, and the group barely got through its entire 12-song album. Think Pink Floyd, The Eagles or even The Who, and you’ll find a great four hours at their concert.

The night mostly involved instrumental and vocal harmonies and jam sessions with exemplary, standout performances by every artist on stage. The vocalist actively shifted, leaned and harmonized as the night continued. Each member played perfectly with syncopation and precision, showcasing excellence at the local live music scene.

Loud, booming bass lines completely focused the crowd near the front of the stage until the drums swiped attention back with perfect fills and riffs.

The band released its first studio album just over a year ago, and the album does not disappoint. The mix is ideal, and the album progresses masterfully from a sweeping musical overture to an understated bass groove to a vocal siren song.

Cash Machine plays all across the Upstate as well as down into the low country, with dates coming up all season into the summer. If ever you see that a local venue or bar happens to have a Cash Machine in for a night, pay the 10 dollars and find yourself awestruck and teleported back to days all thought were long past.