Purify’s grand slam sends Presbyterian home

Clemson+outfielder+Will+Taylor+%2816%29+takes+an+at-bat+in+the+Tigers+win+over+Presbyterian+on+Tuesday+afternoon+at+Doug+Kingsmore+Stadium.+
Kate Shealy
Clemson outfielder Will Taylor (16) takes an at-bat in the Tigers’ win over Presbyterian on Tuesday afternoon at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.

The No. 10 Clemson baseball team continued its hot start to the 2024 campaign on Tuesday, hitting its third grand slam in four games and coming away with an 8-2 victory over the Presbyterian Blue Hose.

Clemson blew the game open in the seventh inning, scoring five runs and extending its lead to six runs. Freshman infielder Jarren Purify stole the show, hitting a grand slam to left field to put the game out of reach for Clemson to seal the win. It was his first collegiate hit as a Tiger.

“Big moment for a really hard worker and an awesome kid,” Clemson head coach Erik Bakich said of the freshman’s big hit.

Clemson started quickly, with Austin Gordon pitching a quick first inning. Star sophomore Cam Cannarella wasted no time in the second half of the frame, crushing the first pitch he saw out of Doug Kingsmore Stadium to right centerfield, giving the Tigers the early lead.

Cannarella had another excellent day, recording three hits in five at-bats. Along with his first-inning home run, he also recorded a pair of singles. The sophomore was, however, slow to get up in the sixth inning after he was caught stealing third. After gaining the attention of the athletic trainer, he was able to remain in the game.

“I think he’s ok,” Bakich said. “He may be sore, may need some treatment on it, but nothing serious.”

Presbyterian responded promptly to Cannarella’s home run, scoring two runs in the third inning on a sacrifice fly from Joel Dragoo and a fielder’s choice on a ground ball to first from Noah Lebron.

Jimmy Obertop put the Tigers back on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third with his first home run as a Tiger, leveling the score back at 2-2. An inning later, Obertop continued to contribute, delivering an RBI single to left, bringing Blake Wright home from second.

The Tigers will return to Doug Kingsmore Stadium this Friday at 5 p.m. to take on Kennesaw State.