The Clemson Players’ “Little Women” takes its audience back in time

CLEMSON.EDU // COURTESY
The Clemson Players presented Kate Hamill’s adaption of “Little Women” over the weekend.

This past weekend, The Clemson Players performed Kate Hamill’s adaptation of “Little Women.” The play is adapted from the classic novel written by Louisa May Alcott.

Taking place during the Civil War, “Little Women” tells the story of the March sisters and their coming-of-age journey to becoming women. Many claim that Alcott’s novel and all of the theater adaptations are a friendly push towards feminism, especially in the strong-willed character of Jo March.

The set design was phenomenal, with hand-built houses for the March and Laurence families and thoughtful props, making the performance feel historically accurate. The chemistry between the March sisters was excellent, and the actress truly delivered the sisterly bond vital to successfully performing this play.

The Clemson Theatre Department made the costumes in-house and transported the audience back to the 1800s with their historical accuracy. The clothing choices fit the characters’ personalities successfully. The actors effectively performed the mannerisms, actions and dialect that an audience would encounter if they attended this show in 1868.

The play is one of many events the Brooks Center partnered with the College of Arts and Humanities to host during Women’s History Month. Guests are asked to post photos from the show on social media with the hashtag #LittleWomenClemson.