Clemson shuts out Fordham, goes 4-1 in Tiger Invitational

Kate Adent
Lead hitter McKenzie Clark remained a dominant force at the plate for Clemson against Fordham, as the senior tallied four RBIs on the day thanks to her two home runs and two runs scored.

The No. 11 Clemson softball team defeated Fordham 12-0 on Sunday at McWhorter Stadium in the Tiger Invitational finale.

The Tigers (17-6, 2-1 ACC) hosted the annual invitational, which began on Thursday with a doubleheader against Minnesota. Clemson split the two-game series Thursday night, losing the first game of the weekend 5-3 in nine innings.

Friday and Saturday were marked by wins over Mercer and Longwood, respectively, and Sunday’s match against the Rams marked the fifth shutout in the circle this season for the Tigers.

Junior pitcher Brooke McCubbin started, but fellow veteran and senior Regan Spencer took the win with her 6.1 innings pitched against the Rams to earn her third win of the season.

Lead hitter McKenzie Clark remained a dominant force at the plate for Clemson, as the senior tallied four RBIs on the day thanks to her two home runs and two runs scored. Clark currently maintains a .645 slugging percentage and a .355 batting average for 2024.

Led by head coach John Rittman, the Tigers have had a solid start to the season. The program has only faced one in-conference opponent, NC State, in which Clemson went 2-1 for the series.

The Tigers will next host Gardner-Webb on Wednesday, March 13, at 6 p.m. before ACC matchups come into full swing for the season when North Carolina visits for a weekend series starting Friday, March 15, at 6 p.m.