Akers: What you should know before you graduate

Clemson University // Courtesy
Use the time that you have left in your college experience to truly get the most out of the resources Clemson has to offer.

There’s nothing more exciting than the anticipation of walking across that stage in the Littlejohn Coliseum. Whether you’re graduating in 2024 or have a few more years to go, it’s important to know that life doesn’t just pause when you receive that diploma.

Before you graduate, it’s important to lay the groundwork now, as a student, so you can be prepared — and no, it’s not too late to get started. Use the time that you have left in your college experience to truly get the most out of the resources that Clemson has to offer.

First, know that it’s never too early to start applying for jobs, so start now. If you’re feeling lost, a great resource is Clemson’s Center for Career and Professional Development.

If you need help creating a resume in a pinch, you can schedule an appointment or even walk right in during drop-in hours. You can also schedule mock interviews to practice, and you can seek counseling to see where your career goals lie.

You should also know that this is the best time to make connections and to ask for help. Talk to your peers, mentors, professors and anyone else you see fit and let them know what your plans are post graduation. You never know where those conversations could lead, and it never hurts to ask for advice.

This may be a given, but you should make sure that you know when you’re graduating so there are no surprises when the big day comes. Be sure to check behind your advisors by thoroughly looking over your Degree Works located on the iRoar website. Double and even triple-check this to make sure all necessary requirements are covered each semester.

Before graduating, you should also understand how paying back your student loans works and complete the exit counseling requirement for the University. Exit counseling is a guide that helps graduating students understand what student loans are and the different payment plans they can choose. Be sure to check to see how much you owe if you haven’t already, along with your student bill in iRoar, to confirm you have no missing payments that could prevent you from graduating.

Remember to take chances and enjoy the time you have left as a student at Clemson. Attend an event you never have, utilize resources available to you as a student and really take in every moment. Your college days might be coming to an end, but your memories as a Clemson Tiger will stay with you forever.

Madison Akers is a senior communication major from Easley, South Carolina. Madison can be reached at [email protected].