The Draft Dilemma: PJ Hall faces questions about his future

Big+man+PJ+Hall+has+a+tough+decision+to+make+-+returning+to+Littlejohn+for+a+final+season+or+declaring+for+the+NBA+Draft.+Either+way%2C+he+stands+to+make+millions.+
Big man PJ Hall has a tough decision to make – returning to Littlejohn for a final season or declaring for the NBA Draft. Either way, he stands to make millions.

As the 2024 NBA draft inches closer, the stakes for standout Clemson basketball player PJ Hall have never been higher. After leading the Tigers to their second-ever Elite 8 appearance and earning the title of ACC Player of the Year, Hall finds himself at a crossroads. 

In the next two months, Hall must choose between solidifying his childhood dreams of making it to the NBA or cashing in his final year of eligibility to take one final stab at a National Championship. 

The latter has become a tantalizing possibility for Hall and Clemson fans alike, thanks to the increasing allure of Name, Image and Likeness opportunities. 

NIL opportunities continue to reshape the landscape of collegiate athletics, particularly for elite players and programs. For Hall, the emergence of Clemson’s exclusive NIL partner, 110 Society, presents a compelling argument for him to return next season. 

Should Hall decide to enter the 2024 NBA Draft, his expected first-year earnings range between the league minimum of $1.1 million and that of a mid-first round pick — about $3 million.

Though appealing on the surface, the financial incentives of returning to the NCAA for a Hall-caliber player have never been stronger and are widely expected to rival, if not surpass, the compensation of a mid-level NBA rookie contract. 

Combining potential NIL earnings with the return of Head Coach Brad Brownell, a No. 41 overall 2024 recruiting class (Clemson’s highest-rated since 2020), and two key transfer portal signings, it appears to make more sense for Hall to return to Clemson’s piping-hot basketball program next season than to pursue alternatives.

Moreover, Hall’s decision is not just about earnings, but the impact he could bring to an already fiercely competitive starting five.

With Hall on the floor, the Tigers have emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the ACC. Another year with Hall at the helm could exponentially increase Clemson’s chances of contending for their first-ever National Championship.