PJ Hall transfers to South Carolina

Matt Mynes, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson forward/center PJ Hall prepares to shoot a free throw against North Carolina at Littlejohn Coliseum on Feb. 8, 2022.

After solidifying himself as the Tigers’ most consistent player, sophomore center PJ Hall is transferring to rival South Carolina in one of the most shocking moves in Clemson men’s basketball history.
Despite many attempts by head coach Brad Brownell and the team to convince him to stay, Hall has committed to wearing a Gamecock jersey next season.
Brownell stressed the fact to Hall that Clemson is better in every aspect compared to South Carolina, but Hall believed Clemson did not provide enough to compete for a National Championship.
“Hall’s decision to transfer to a school as dismal as South Carolina left us shocked,” a Clemson Athletics representative said in a statement to The Kitten. “It’s his loss for becoming a Gamecock and leaving a school as great as Clemson is.”
Hall’s decision to leave not only gives South Carolina a star in the making, but it also leaves Clemson depleted.
Hall averaged 15.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game during the 2021-22 season. He also shot well as he averaged 49.3% from the field and 30.8% from three. Hall adds to a long list of players who will not be with Clemson basketball next season. Naz Bohannon, David Collins and Parker Foxy will no longer be Tigers after graduating this year.
Nick Honor will also likely not be on the team after entering the transfer portal on March 22.
Hall will be joining first year South Carolina basketball coach Lamont Paris. Before taking the job at South Carolina, Paris coached Chattanooga to a 27-8 record and a Southern Conference Championship this season.
As mentioned, the loss of Hall will hurt Clemson next season, but Clemson basketball hopes that they will overcome this issue. It will be interesting to see what happens when Clemson plays South Carolina next season, as Hall’s move adds even more intensity to the rivalry.