Clemson softball mercies Boston in five innings

Jacob Thompson, Contributor

Valerie Cagle (72) pitches during Clemson softball’s 2020 home opener at McWhorter Stadium.

The Clemson softball team took down Boston, 8-0, at McWhorter Stadium on Friday, in game one of Friday’s double-header in the Clemson Classic. The Tigers’ offense was kept in check through the first four innings, but a six-run fifth inning ended the game with a mercy.
Seven different Tigers scored runs, with Alia Logoleo leading the team with two. Logoleo’s second run came in the fifth and final inning, when she hit a home run to left field and sealed the victory.
Friday’s home run was the sophomore third baseman’s second home run of the season. She also tied her season high in hits with two. 
Although six of the Tigers’ eight runs came in the fifth inning, Clemson designated player Marissa Guimbarda hit a home run in the second inning to give the Tigers an early 1-0 lead. 
Shortly after Guimbarda’s hit, an Aby Vieria single allowed Logoleo to cross home plate, scoring the first of two runs for the third baseman and the second run of the inning for the Tigers.
Despite Logoleo’s runs scored, she was not the team leader in hits on the afternoon. Clemson second baseman Cammy Pereira led the team in hits with three. She also had one run and one run brought in.
Meanwhile, Clemson pitcher Valerie Cagle had success in the circle, holding Boston to three hits and no runs in five innings pitched.
The 2021 ACC Player of the year also had one hit on the afternoon, a double to left field in the fifth inning that brought centerfielder McKenzie Clark to home plate. 
Clemson, now sitting at (8-3), will host St. Francis at approximately 5 p.m. tonight in game two of the double-header. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, but due to inclement weather on Sunday, the Clemson Classic will now be finished tomorrow.