Easy Bend Rodeo: Good, Southern fun

Mercedes Dubberly

Inside the T Ed. Garrison Arena during the rodeo.

If you’re new to the South, a rodeo is probably the last place you’d expect to find yourself on a Friday night; but a crowd of all ages gathered at the T. Ed Garrison Arena to watch the Easy Bend IPRA Rodeo on opening night.
Cowboys in colorful, fringed outfits, complete with traditional chaps, came from as far as New York and California to compete in a various classic events, from bareback riding to steer wrestling and bull riding.
The night began with a patriotic demonstration and the national anthem before the first event: bareback riding. The goal is for the contestant to stay on the bucking horse as long as possible before being thrown off.
Easy Bend created an atmosphere of family fun by hosting Trent McFarland, “America’s Number One Rodeo Clown.” McFarland stayed in the arena through the entire event, telling jokes with the announcer, interacting with the crowd and naturally clowning around.
The rodeo affairs continued with calf roping, steer wrestling, barrel racing and saddle bronc riding. A trick rider and roper performed daring feats adding a circus-like element that entertained the younger audience and made for a memorable and exciting experience.
The night concluded with a band performance, which really struck a chord with the audience’s Southern pride.
While this season’s Easy Bend Rodeo ended Nov. 19, be sure to catch it in the spring on March 4 and 5.