In response to Tigers For Life: The voice that Clemson students actually need

Gabisanda//Pixabay
Birth control pills

In a recent op-ed submitted to The Tiger, the Clemson Tigers For Life founder and president, Alivia Grace Talley, made several claims and statements regarding abortion rights and beliefs. Tigers For Life is a “pro-life” student organization established in 2021 at Clemson University that advocates for making “abortion illegal again” and bringing an end to abortions.

In her op-ed, Talley states that women and Clemson students need to hear a voice that tells them that abortion is never the answer. A voice that suggests that all women that have gone through with the procedure feel pain and regret. A voice that shames women for making their own choices about their own bodies.

This is a voice that is outdated, unreasonable and biased. However, there are voices that Clemson students really do need to hear. Voices that rally for women’s rights and advocate for safe healthcare. Leaders that educate and inform people about the importance of maintaining abortion rights. The voices of women who have experienced the consequences of losing a necessary and essential form of healthcare.

Yes, women are strong and more than capable of handling many responsibilities, all while caring for a child, but this is not true for every woman, nor is it what every woman wants. Pregnancy takes a significant toll on a woman’s body, including their mental health.

A study from the National Library of Medicine finds that anxiety, depression and stress in pregnancy are significant risk factors that can cause harmful effects on mothers and their children. Adding the pressures of being a college student on top of this could be very concerning for many women.

Although Clemson may provide access to resources to support women during this time, that still doesn’t change the fact that not all women want to carry a child. Women know that abortion is not their only option, but it is an option that some women choose based on what they believe is best for their mental health, their future and their potential child.

One of the voices that Clemson students need to hear is the voice of the president of Clemson’s Planned Parenthood Generation Action organization who spoke at a reproductive rights rally last week. Lauren Carneal, a senior genetics major, spoke to students about the dangers of misinformation being spread about abortion, especially by state clinics and crisis pregnancy centers. She shared her thoughts on the recent publication of the Tigers For Life op-ed.

“I believe that is their right to say that. That is their choice, but I believe that their opinions and their thoughts should not be forced on absolutely everybody. I believe that my body is my choice and that I have the right to choose what I want to do,” Carneal said.

This voice speaks for the many women who want to maintain their right to choose and aims to educate students about the misinformation spread by those who push anti-abortion propaganda.

Another voice that Clemson students need to hear is the voice of the PPGA vice president who also rallied with students for the preservation of their reproductive rights. Anna Lipke, a senior language and international health major, provided a statement surrounding the recent Tigers For Life op-ed and the harassment the group has faced:

“Tigers For Life has the right to say whatever they please and so do we. We have the right to come here and advocate for abortion care and safe abortion care because you can’t make abortions illegal. You can only ban safe abortions. I do want to make it clear that no one associated with this event, and no one associated with PPGA or any of the other affiliated organizations, had anything to do with those threats. We actually released multiple anti-harassment and violence statements in response to those because that is not something we support. We do support all people regardless of their opinion. We support all women, people of all genders, all sexualities and all beliefs.”

This voice highlights the truth that abortions will never stop occurring but will become unsafe without access to necessary healthcare. This voice welcomes all people to join them with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

Yes, at the moment of fertilization a human does begin to develop, but what does this really look like? The Endowment for Human Development provides a prenatal development timeline with images and descriptions that show human development from fertilization to birth. Here, you can also read about the biology behind every stage of this process.

Talley uses the argument that the “DNA that is created is distinct and unrepeatable” to convince women to eliminate abortion as an option. However, a professor of biology, Scott Gilbert, who teaches embryology and developmental genetics argues that “popular culture promotes the fallacy of sacred DNA.” Genetic distinctiveness is not a valid reason to take away the option for safe abortions.

The Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade was a mistake and will have devastating and lasting consequences for everyone in this country. All women in your life including your mothers, daughters, sisters and wives will be affected by this ruling.

Doctors will be limited in how they can treat women suffering from life-threatening pregnancies. Unplanned births will rise and result in an increase in maternal morbidity and mortality. Long-term risks to the life and health of children will increase since children of unplanned pregnancies are more likely to suffer preterm birth, low birth weight, impaired child development, and adverse childhood experiences.

Marlena Stell, a woman from Texas, shared her story with PBS News regarding harsh abortion laws in her state. She explained that after suffering a miscarriage and begging her doctor for help, she was forced to carry fetal remains inside of her for weeks due to anti-abortion laws. 

Another tragic story reported through PBS News follows the experience of a 10-year-old child who was sexually assaulted and forced to be relocated from Ohio to Indiana in order to receive an abortion.

Abortion care is important, and every woman should have a choice, regardless of any individual’s beliefs.