Paws up, paws down: Clemson vs. Campbell

Aralynn Minnick // Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson midfielder Ella Little runs with the ball at Historic Riggs Field. 

Clemson women’s lacrosse defeated the Campbell Camels in an intense 18-7 game on Wednesday, marking the team’s first at home on Historic Riggs Field in two weeks. Here are a few key takeaways from the Tigers’ performance: 

Paws down: Sloppy start 

In an unusual showing, the Tigers appeared unorganized and lacked the usual consistency they had demonstrated in the first quarter of previous games. Campbell won the first draw control and subsequently stormed down the field as Clemson defenders chased in pursuit. 

The Tigers also earned the first penalty of the game early in the first quarter, although the Camels did not capitalize on it. Clemson missed its first shot on goal, whereas Campbell did not, marking the first time the Tigers have allowed an opponent to score the first goal of the game at home this season, as well as the first time the Tigers have lost the lead at home. 

Paws up: 60 minutes of adrenaline rush

The first half alone saw a tied score on four separate occasions as the Tigers and Camels battled back and forth.  

Draw control was a point of contention, as the Tigers have typically dominated their out-of-conference opponents in this category. Draw wins were nearly even up until the second half when the Tigers’ specialists pulled away to end the game with a combined 17 controls compared to the Camels’ 11. 

Defense proved crucial to solidify the victory as Clemson managed to keep Campbell outside the eight, remaining especially vigilant of fouls inside this margin to avoid free-position shots. Sophomore goalie Emily Lamparter played both halves and had eight saves. 

Paws up: Second-half pull away 

Considering the Tigers have averaged double-digit leads by the second half so far this season, a tight score coming out of the half wasn’t what the team was used to. Although Clemson was up 7-4, it became clear that the Tigers wanted to play to their standards as they pulled away from the Camels in the latter half. 

The Tigers scored eight points in the third quarter — more than the entire previous half — and allowed Campbell just two. The Tigers tallied three more in the final period to end the game.  

Both teams put up a gritty fight with fouls, penalties and injuries aplenty. The Tigers were especially aggressive, ending the game with 39 fouls compared to the Camels’ 22.