Cagle pitches perfect game for first time in program history

Caleb Browder // Alumnus

Valerie Cagle (72) pitched the first perfect game in Clemson softball program history at McWhorter Stadium on Wednesday, March 8, 2023. 

Clemson softball’s Valerie Cagle pitched a perfect game against Mercer on Wednesday night for the first perfect game in program history. 
In 5.0 innings, Cagle allowed no hits and had eight strikeouts on 51 pitches from the circle. The redshirt junior’s pitching helped propel the No. 4/7-ranked Tigers (21-1) to a dominating 18-0 run-rule victory against the Bears. 
“I was definitely just telling myself to just hit a spot and remind myself it’s just a pitch and just a batter and not think about the bigger picture,” Cagle said of her perfect game. 
“Obviously, it started in the circle with Valerie Cagle pitching a perfect game on 51 pitches thrown tonight,” head coach John Rittman said of the win. “Just total domination. I’m really proud of her. Coach Jamieson called a great game, and Valerie executed it. She’s been working on her changeup a little bit, and that pitch was awesome tonight.”
With the win, the Tigers remained perfect on the year at McWhorter stadium ahead of the four-team Clemson Classic tournament this weekend.