Men’s golf places last in Wake Forest Invitational at Pinehurst

Steven Shircliff // Unsplash

The Clemson men’s golf team placed 12th after shooting 48-over-par in the Wake Forest Invitational (par-70 course) last Monday and Tuesday in Pinehurst, North Carolina.

The 12-team pool consisted of fellow ACC opponents Wake Forest, Virginia, Duke and N.C. State. The golfers completed two rounds on Monday, then finished the final 18 on Tuesday afternoon.

It was the first round that was detrimental for the Tigers, as they finished Monday morning 25-over-par. 

Sophomore Andrew Swanson brought another leading performance for the Tigers. The Bluffton, South Carolina, native’s back nine in the first round was his most notable, as he shot 2-under to make up for his 2-over front nine, finishing even for the first round. However, he shot 6-over-par in the second round and 2-over in the third round. Placing first for his team, Swanson placed 28th overall in his plus-8 score.  

Clemson made 25 birdies for the tournament, and senior Zack Gordon made one of the four eagles across the three rounds. Gordon tied for 48th, finishing plus-16. 

Alberto Dominguez tied for 36th with his plus-10 score, and Sean Curran tied for 53rd after he shot plus-18. Fellow Tiger Kian Rose finished 62nd with a score of plus-23.

The last-place defeat came heavy for the team, as it dominated in last year’s Pinehurst Tournament to win by 16 shots, with two Tigers tying for first place.