Former Clemson baseball player makes Atlanta Braves debut

Clemson Athletics // Courtesy

Former Clemson baseball player Eli White made his debut with the Atlanta Braves on April 9, 2023. 

Former Clemson baseball player Eli White made his debut with the Atlanta Braves on Sunday, April 9.

The Greenville, South Carolina, native’s first at-bat with the team came in the bottom of the ninth, where White pinch hit for star Braves right fielder Ronald Acuña Jr. in a 10-2 loss to the San Diego Padres.

White made his first start in center field for the Braves the following day, April 10. While going up against the Cincinnati Reds, the outfielder went 0 for 3 with two strikeouts. He then had five at-bats on April 15, recording one hit and one run against the Kansas City Royals. 

White spent the spring training with the Gwinnett Stripers, the Brave’s AAA squad before being called up. Although his major league debut at Truist Park was less than ideal, White remains confident in his abilities and the improvements he has shown during practice. 

While at Clemson, White played three seasons for the Tigers before being drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 11th round of the 2016 MLB draft. 

White made his MLB debut in 2020 with the Texas Rangers and played three seasons with the club before being traded to the Braves in December of last year.