Viral in the Valley: ‘Daisy Jones’ brings ’70s summer

Amazon Studios // Courtesy

The cast of “Daisy Jones and the Six” decked out in their 70s costumes designed by Denise Wingate.

Hair blowing in the wind. Music in the background. Crowds screaming your name. Haven’t we all wished to channel our inner rock star? Well, look no further because the release of the limited series “Daisy Jones & the Six” is bringing a wave of ’70s nostalgia this spring.
The TV show is based on the novel of the same name by Taylor Renkins Reid and follows the lives of seven members of a fictional rock band in the ’70s. The first episodes of the limited series were released on March 3, with the two final episodes premiering a few weeks later on March 24.
The Amazon series is a ’70s daydream filled with music and characters that embody the rock ‘n’ roll era. However, nothing encapsulated the time period more than the clothing styled by costume designer Denise Wingate.
As we enter spring, it is safe to say that many of the staples seen in the series will be trending.
The titular character Daisy Jones is defined by her wild nature and free spirit. The rock star is rarely seen without a crop top, flared jeans and cowboy boots.
The crop top has been a staple in fashion intermittently throughout the past century. The ’70s had crop tops in every style and fabric, from crochet bralettes to floral blouses.
Jones can be seen wearing many of these styles, so prepare to see these pop up through the spring and summer.
It is also time to throw out your skinny jeans, as wide-legged and flared pants are back in style. Instead of suffocating with tight pants, let loose and groove in your favorite pair of bell bottoms.
To finish off any good ’70s outfit, you must have a pair of cowboy boots. These boots can vary in color and style, but the dirtier, the better. Any good rock star’s shoes are worn in for the stage.
If you are struggling to find clothes that capture the essence of Daisy Jones, look no further than the “Daisy Jones & the Six” Free People collaboration for all your ’70s staples. Along with this collection, there is also an Amazon page for the series where you can shop for clothing by character.
So put on your favorite Fleetwood Mac album, take out your guitar and prepare for the ’70s takeover as we look towards the end of spring and the beginning of summer. We might not all get the chance to be rock stars and tour the world, but we can always embody the rock star essence through our fashion.