Clemson’s Hispanic and Latinx community celebrated at annual Noche de Gala

Latinos Unidos Tiger Quest page // Coutresy

The executive board and Members of Latinos Unidos Clemson showcase their club at Tiger Prowl.

Latinos Unidos hosted professor and guest speaker Jose Castillo at their annual Noche de Gala on Saturday, April 15, marking a beautiful celebration of culture and a night full of life.

Clinical assistant professor Castillo spoke about his experience as a member of the community and urged students to take pride in where they come from, emphasizing the importance of believing in oneself and seeking out mentors. 

Castillo shared moving personal details from his life, as well, about how he struggled with his parent’s divorce in a strict Catholic culture. Although it ostracized him during his school days, it brought him closer to his “abuelas” and was why he sought strong mentors.

“We don’t always cherish our heritage, but it follows us,” Castillo said. “We always make room for family and celebrate together. Take pride in it and use it as a foundation for success.”

After Castillo’s speech, the Latinos Unidos gave out the Hispanic Impact Awards, dedicated to honoring those who have served the community.

Stephanie Rivera, a fall 2022 graduate, was one of the recipients. As she emotionally recalled her time serving the community here at Clemson, it became clear that this was not just a celebration of culture but a celebration of finding a home within that community at Clemson.

“A lot of people doubted me, but I knew I wanted to do something,” Rivera said. “If you have a passion and you’re struggling, you can make it true. Take your hard work and passion and determination and do something with it.”

Latinos Unidos Clemson University is a student organization dedicated to the Latinx/Hispanic community at Clemson.