Clemson shuts out Auburn behind 5-run 5th inning

Ashleigh Snyder // Contributor

Clemson center fielder McKenzie Clark hit a solo home run in the bottom of the third inning against Auburn at McWhorter Stadium on May, 20, 2023, to help send the Tigers to Game 6 of the Clemson regional. 

Led by Valerie Cagle, Clemson softball defeated Auburn 7-0 Saturday at McWhorter Stadium to advance to the Clemson Regional final.
After two scoreless innings to start, Clemson center fielder McKenzie Clark hit a solo home run in the bottom of the third for the Tigers’ first run of the game.
Clemson’s bats then exploded in the bottom of the fifth when the Tigers scored five runs. With two outs on the board, left fielder Ally Miklesh hit a two-run single to put Clemson up 3-0. Cagle proceeded to hit a homer to bring herself and Miklesh home, giving the Tigers a 5-0 lead, which was extended to 6-0 by an Alia Logoleo RBI single.
Cagle shined on both sides of the plate, batting 2 for 3 with two RBIs. She also got the win in the circle, recording four strikeouts and giving up just one hit in 7.0 innings pitched.
Reedy Davenport brought in the final score of the game in the sixth when she hit a single to bring Ansley Houston home.
The Tigers will play the winner of Auburn vs. California State Fullerton/UNC Greensboro at noon Sunday in the regional final. Clemson will only need to win one of two games to advance to super regionals.