Clemson sweeps FIU tournament for a 5-0 opening weekend

Aralynn Minnick // Photo Editor

Clemson RHP/UTL Valerie Cagle (72) rounds first base against Louisiana on May 22, 2022 at McWhorter Stadium.

Clemson softball started its season off strong, winning all five games at the Florida International tournament this past weekend and shattering the program record in hits in the process. 

Clemson started the tournament on Thursday with a five-inning run-rule game, defeating Florida International 10-1. The game brought in 12 hits for the Tigers, as well as four home runs.

The next day, the Tigers’ bats were even more active. Against Georgia State on Friday, the Tigers racked up 19 hits in the 11-2 win. Graduate transfer Caroline Jacobsen launched two of Clemson’s four home runs, with junior McKenzie Clark and redshirt junior Valerie Cagle also tallying one apiece. 

On Saturday, Clemson faced Georgia State again, winning in another mercy-rule game in just six innings to clinch an 11-3 victory. Clemson also faced Kansas City on day three of the tournament and won 8-1. 

The tournament championship game was held on Sunday between Clemson and Florida International. Shutting out their opponent 4-0, the Tigers wrapped up their opening weekend in style. 

Cagle pitched for the entirety of the championship game, allowing just seven hits and no runs to complement her 11 strikeouts. 

JoJo Hyatt, a redshirt senior, was a presence at the plate all weekend. With her team-leading eight RBIs, Hyatt had a .778 batting average in her nine at-bats over the weekend. The catcher had six hits and one run in the four games played.

With their opening weekend finished with dominance, the Tigers have set the standard for the rest of the season. They will next play Furman on Tuesday, Feb. 14, in Greenville, South Carolina, before their home opener against Northwestern at McWhorter Stadium on Friday.