Akers: Your valentine may be easier to find than you think

Element5 Digital // Unsplash
Valentine’s Day stock

If you’ve been searching for that perfect someone to call your own this Valentine’s Day, then look no further because you’re in luck.
I happen to know the perfect person for you to share your time with this Valentine’s Day. Someone who’s always been there for you through the ups and downs. Someone who gets you to where you need to be and that will never leave your side. Someone who’s a lot closer than you may think.
That someone is you.
Valentine’s Day seems to always have that stigma for being a day when being single is unacceptable and even a bit sad. But who said the day of love can’t be about loving yourself?
So, instead of feeling down when Feb. 14 comes around, take this day as an opportunity to treat yourself and check in on your mental health.
Watch that show you’ve been meaning to start, go out and buy yourself something nice, eat one of your favorite meals and just show yourself a little love.
In fact, this could be a great time to observe other relationships and reflect on what you’re looking for in a future partner. Also, Valentine’s Day doesn’t just have to be about romance. Celebrate with friends and make the most of it.
Whether you’re in a relationship or not this Valentine’s Day, it’s important that you remember that no matter what, you’re always going to have yourself for every Valentine’s Day to come.
“When we have a difficult time loving ourselves, this spills into other areas of our lives and can make it difficult to achieve our goals and build healthy relationships,” Tchiki Davis, with the Berkeley Well-Being Institute, stated.
So, take advantage of all the things Valentine’s Day has to offer. Get that heart-shaped tray from Chick-fil-A and look into all the discounts going on. Word has it that Chick-fil-A is even offering free chicken sandwiches from the 13-18 of February to celebrate, according to Sumner Moorer (2023) with WIS News.
So, let this be your sign to embrace being your own Valentine and to give yourself the love you deserve.
Madison Akers is a junior communication major from Easley, South Carolina. Madison can be reached at [email protected].