Affirmative action has to go

Nathan+Dumlao%26%23160%3B-unsplash
Blake Mauro // Associate Editor

Nathan Dumlao -unsplash

Affirmative action is the most discriminatory initiative in the college admissions process. 

Tipping the scales to favor one race over another directly contradicts what America has been fighting to accomplish for decades.

The affirmative action guidelines are a definition embodiment of racism; the program assumes that certain races are superior to others and that some individuals, based on the color of their skin, are inherently less intelligent. 

Despite its promise to combat racism and aid marginalized racial groups, affirmative action historically disenfranchises Asian Americans, a minority group, more than any other race. 

The average SAT score Asian Americans have to attain to earn admission to Harvard University is more than 100 points higher than the score an African American student must make for colleges to grant acceptance. 

Further, skewing the requirements for admission in favor of particular ethnicities sets people up for failure and disappointment; it allows students who would otherwise not qualify for acceptance to be admitted. Minority students who are admitted to universities under affirmative action have a higher chance of not completing their education. 

The initiative is also incredibly derogatory. Affirmative action forces admission officials to value demographic qualities over personal achievements and intelligent excellence. 

I do not want to earn admission to a school or possibly receive a job in the future based on my race or sex; I want to accomplish my goal based on hard work, intelligence and dedication.

The U.S. Supreme Court has the ability to overrule cases that allowed for affirmative action policies in the past. ​​Students for Fair Admissions, Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College and Students for Fair Admissions, Inc. v. University of North Carolina question the constitutionality of affirmative action, and for good reasons. 

If the court rules in favor of Students for Fair Admission and outlaws affirmative action procedures, college admissions will hopefully return to a merit-based process.