Clemson takes down Wake Forest in pitching battle

Brian Hennessy, Clemson Athletics

Freshman pitcher Mack Anglin fired up after pitching against Wake Forest at Doug Kingsmore Stadium in Clemson, S.C.

In game one of a threegame series against Wake Forest, Clemson baseball got back on track with a 5-2 win on Friday night. The Tigers were able to pull away late in the game, but Clemson pitcher Mack Anglin allowed the Tigers to maintain their course with the Demon Deacons through the first six innings. 

This win comes after a seven-game losing skid by the Tigers, and since the NCAA tournament is approaching, it could not have come at a better time. Perhaps the key ingredient for Clemson was Anglin, who had a career night that countered Wake Forest’s impressive pitcher, Ryan Cusick.  

In six full innings of pitching, Anglin recorded a career-high eleven strikeouts. After a rough time in Miami, Anglin clearly bounced back and only allowed two runs to be scored, both of which resulted from errors committed by Clemson catcher Adam Hackenberg. 

On Wake Forest’s side, they also had an impressive night of pitching, led by Cusick. Cusick pitched in six innings, giving up two runs. Scoring those two runs were Sam Hall and Hackenberg.   

A potential MLB draft prospect, Cusick received the undivided attention of approximately 20 MLB scouts who visited Doug Kingsmore Stadium. While some scouts did leave the stadium when Cusick stopped pitching, Anglin, among others, may have caught their attention as well. 

Seemingly enough, both impressive pitching performances were reflected in the scoreboard, which read 2-2 heading into the bottom of the seventh inning. 

After Anglin and Cusick left the mound for the night, Clemson was able to rally behind Kier Meredith’s RBI single in the bottom of the seventh that brought home Bryce Teodosio. An error suffered by Wake Forest on the play resulted in Sam Hall scoring and Meredith reaching second base. Those two runs gave Clemson a 4-2 lead that only grew in the bottom of the eighth when Teodosio hit a double down the left-field line that allowed Hackenberg to score yet again, giving the Tigers a three-run lead that ended up as the 5-2 final score. 

Moving forward, the Tigers will have two more games against Wake Forest this weekend. Beyond that, Clemson will have a three-game stint against the Louisville Cardinals April 30May 2.