Noonan, Tigers look for first win of the season against Gamecocks

Clemson looks to win 10th straight game vs. South Carolina
The+Tigers+lost+their+2023+season+opener+on+Aug.+24+against+UCF.+They+will+look+for+their+first+win+of+the+season+when+they+face+the+Gamecocks+on+Friday%2C+Sept.+1.+
Aralynn Minnick
The Tigers lost their 2023 season opener on Aug. 24 against UCF. They will look for their first win of the season when they face the Gamecocks on Friday, Sept. 1.

The Clemson men’s soccer team (0-1-1) will host the South Carolina Gamecocks at Historic Riggs Field on Friday night in what is set to be another classic rivalry game.

Clemson’s domination over the Gamecocks in soccer over the past decade is undeniable, as the Tigers have won the last nine contests. A 10th consecutive victory over South Carolina would secure an all-time program record for the longest win streak over their rival.

If going undefeated in the rivalry since 2014 was not enough, the Tigers have also shut out the Gamecocks in each of the past three seasons — South Carolina’s most recent goal came in August 2019.

Friday’s game marks the third of four opening home games for Clemson before the Tigers travel to South Bend, Indiana, to face off against Notre Dame for their first away game. Head coach Mike Noonan and his team are looking for their first win of the season after a disappointing loss to UCF and a draw with UNC Wilmington, which saw one goal a piece from forwards Ousmane Sylla and Mohamed Seye, respectively.

A tally in the win column is crucial for the Tigers to gain momentum and reenter the United Soccer Coaches Top 25 after starting the season ranked No. 9.

The incoming South Carolina Gamecocks (0-1-1) are looking for their first win of the season as well, after falling to Gardner-Webb in their most recent game by a score of 2-0 and tying Campbell in their season opener. Returning for the Gamecocks is senior forward Adam Luckhurst, who has scored the only goal for the team this season. Luckhurst also led South Carolina in goals last season. He is joined by returning senior midfielder Peter Clements, who achieved All-Conference USA honors in 2021.

Despite the slower start to this season, Noonan is optimistic about what he sees in his team and expects a big crowd on Friday.

“We are just looking to continue improving, and there was a lot of improvement from the last game to this game,” the Clemson coach said after Monday’s draw. “I’m proud of them, and hopefully, the fans turn out on Friday night against the Gamecocks.”

Kickoff between the Tigers and Gamecocks is set for 7:00 p.m. EDT, and the game will be broadcast on ACCNX.