TPUSA hosts Dr. Ben Carson

Dr. Ben Carson and John Schnatter both spoke about their political beliefs Sept. 5.

An unlikely union of pizza and politics took place at a Turning Point USA event on Tuesday.

2016 Republican presidential candidate and former neurosurgeon, Dr. Ben Carson, spoke with the founder of Papa John’s, John Schnatter, at the Madren Center on Sept. 5.

Carson emphasized the important role that Clemson students have in tackling the issues that truly matter. He encouraged students from every socioeconomic background to stick to their values and speak up.

Schnatter, chairman of the Cornerstone Institute, spoke about the importance of civic involvement, urging students to speak up, claiming, “our youth is our future.”

Carson has written nine books, including “Gifted Hands,” “Created Equal” and “Think Big.” His works have tackled topics like self-improvement, along with responding to economic and social problems.

Carson expanded on these themes in his talk on Tuesday.

“Have you ever wondered why America is the only country that has a dream?” Carson asked. “Regardless of their history, everyone is capable of success, especially in America,” Carson said.

Growing up with a single mother, Carson began by sharing his childhood experiences at home and school.

Having struggled as early as the fifth grade, Carson’s rocky road to achieving his academic goals required perseverance and, most importantly, courage, he explained. Courage was the hallmark of Carson’s speech and what he considers to be the central virtue in resolving America’s dilemmas.

Carson further called for people of all ages to address the problems that matter to them, regardless of government input. Relevant issues such as immigration, racism, energy disputes, the war in Ukraine and the U.S. economy were also covered during the speech. Carson claimed that the lack of ownership coming from the current presidential administration is an example of “inappropriate leadership.”

John Schnatter also gave his thoughts regarding the responsibility that students hold. With a variety of questions and little opposition, the feeling in the air described by many was “electric” and “exciting.” Student responses at the event were positive and supportive of what both speakers had to say.

View Comments (2)