‘We just lost to Clemson’: Klubnik reacts to opening loss against Duke

Katie Bradham
Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik completed 27 of 43 passes for 209 yards, one touchdown and one interception against Duke on Monday.

Monday’s season opener against Duke was an all-around ugly loss for the Clemson Tigers.

From missed tackles to blocked kicks to turnovers in the red zone, very little went right that would allow the Tigers to hold their heads high.

When speaking to the media following the 28-7 loss, Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik did not mince his words, taking responsibility for the disappointing performance.

“We just lost to Clemson,” Klubnik said. “At the end of the day, that’s what happened. It was just stuff we were doing on our own. Two fumbles, just bad ball handling.”

In a game where many expected a revamped, high-powered Clemson offense, Klubnik finished the game completing 27 of 43 passes for 209 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Also disappointed with the result, head coach Dabo Swinney laid out his thoughts on his signal-caller’s play.

“He put us in position. But again, we just didn’t finish,” Swinney said. “It’s just that simple. I mean, there’s just a lot of things situationally that he’s got to do a better job of.”

Despite the rough start for Clemson, the former five-star quarterback is more than confident in his team’s ability to bounce back and rewrite the season.

“You look at the 2016 team, and they lost one game… they went on and responded and ended up winning the national championship,” Klubnik said.

“I think that this is going to be such a sweet story,” he added about this year’s team. “That’s the dreams that I have and the dreams that our team has… Ultimately, our goal is to play in 15 games and finish 14-1.”

While Klubnik may be confident in Clemson’s ability to still make it all the way to a national championship, time will tell if the team will ultimately respond to and improve from the poor start.