Swinney: Tigers ‘have zero chance’ against FSU if they lose turnover margin

Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik runs the ball vs. Florida Atlantic in Memorial Stadium on Sept. 16, 2023. Klubnik and the Tigers’ offense has five turnovers on the 2023 season through three games.

If Clemson wants to upset No. 4 Florida State on Saturday, head coach Dabo Swinney knows his team can’t put the ball in harm’s way. 

Clemson moved to 2-1 on the season after a convincing 48-14 win against Florida Atlantic last Saturday.

Speaking to the media after the game, head coach Dabo Swinney emphasized the importance of the Tigers’ ability to maintain a low turnover margin, not only versus the Owls but also in their highly anticipated matchup against the Seminoles (3-0, 1-0 ACC) this Saturday.

“The greatest equalizer in football is poor ball security,” Swinney said. “We have no chance against Florida State if we can’t win the turnover margin. We have zero chance. You can’t hardly beat anyone when you lose the turnover margin,” Swinney added, emphasizing the importance of limiting Clemson’s turnover margin against future opponents.

This was Clemson’s first game of the season without a single offensive turnover, a trend Swinney hopes to continue for the remainder of the season, and a goal quarterback Cade Klubnik was happy with accomplishing.

“We did a great job of just staying in control and just commanding the offense and controlling the football,” Klubnik said after Clemson’s win over FAU.

Through three weeks, Florida State’s defense has forced four turnovers.

The Tigers will host the Seminoles at noon on Saturday, Sept. 23.