Halftime musings: Clemson leads FSU 17-14

Ashleigh Snyder
Freshman wide receiver Tyler Brown leads the team with three receptions for 62 yards.

Offense/Special Teams:
—  Quarterback Cade Klubnik looked comfortable with his team, winning the quarterback battle against the Seminole’s Jordan Travis this half. Overall, he completed 13 of 18 pass attempts for 190 yards, earning an overall rating of 179.2, while Travis completed 12 of 17 attempts for 136 yards and a 157.2 rating.
—  Freshman wide receiver Tyler Brown continues to make his presence known on the field, putting up 3 receptions for 62 yards in the first half. Although he was shaken up on a play early in the second quarter, he returned from the medical tent with his helmet on.
—  The Tigers were determined to win the turnover battle. Although several passes were broken up by the Seminoles, the Tigers managed to hold onto possession resulting in no turnovers in the entire first half.
—  Running backs Will Shipley and Phil Mafah proved their versatility as they were used in both the run and pass games; Shipley combined for 60 all-purpose yards and one touchdown, while Mafah earned 35 all-purpose yards.
—  The Tigers outdid Florida State in every category — 36 rushing yards to the Seminoles 20, 190 passing yards to the Seminoles 136, 12 first downs to the Seminoles 11, and 17 points to the Seminoles 14.
—  Graduate kicker Jonathan Weitz was perfect on kicks in the first half, going 1/1 on field goals and 2/2 on extra points. After the kicking struggles that the Tigers have faced in recent weeks, this is a welcome change of pace for the team.

Defense:
—  In the first defensive outing of the day for the Tigers, they kept Florida State scoreless and did not allow the Seminoles to get the ball into Clemson territory.
—  Clemson’s defense held strong in the first quarter, only allowing 21 yards and shutting the Seminoles out in the quarter.
— Clemson linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr. was able to get a sack on Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis for a loss of seven yards. Clemson’s defensive line and linebackers have been putting pressure on Travis the whole game, but Trotter’s sack was the first time the team was able to take him down behind the line.
— Trotter, Sheridan Jones and R.J. Mickens lead with four total tackles a piece.
— Safety Andrew Mukuba returns for injury after sitting out against Charleston Southern and Florida Atlantic, contributing two solo tackles and one pass breakup this half